Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Unforgettable Bur Dubai Experience

It was January 1 and I already spent half of my day inside my room. I just came from night shift (Yes! I welcomed 2012 inside the office. so much for my first new year's eve in Dubai!) and I was too sleepy to go out. Then a friend suddenly called me. She wanted to buy a new mobile phone. So we decided to go out. We can't decide where to go, and since we are hoping to get a cheaper price, we decided to go to Bur Dubai. We took the bus and since it was my first time to ride the bus here in Dubai, I'm so excited! Although it only cost us less than AED 5.00, it took us almost 2 hours before we get there! But on the bright side, I get to see a few parts of Dubai for like $1.50! We were already starving when we get there and the only food we could see is shawarma, so we bought chicken shawarma (AED 4.00) and a bottled water (AED 1.00). Then we headed to the Dubai creek. The Dubai creek separates Deira (where I live) and Bur Dubai and one can cross it by riding a water taxi. 
water taxi

We sat in one of the benches facing the creek. A lot of tourists can also be seen wandering around, but there are a lot more guys holding the hands of each other while walking. Culture shock? I guess I'm still not used to it, coz I still wonder, is it a normal custom or they are really gays? Anyway, it's none of my business anymore...
Dubai Creek at night: our view while eating
Back to my story.  After eating, we continued our plan to search for a cheap phone and digital camera. 


We accidentally went inside this small shop that sells variety of nuts and chocolates! The chocolates were sold at AED 25.00/kilo. My eyes were twinkling, so I bought a few since I don't know how it really taste. But I just saw one of my fave, Bon Bon!!! I used to buy it all the time at 7Eleven back in Manila. 
Bon Bon!!!
Total Price: AED 12.50
(si kuya nakiki-pose pa! haha)
After that, we started our gadget hunting again. We went from one store to another. There weren't really that much to see. There are a lot of stores that sells clothes, electronic appliances, shoes, jewelry, gold, etc. but it wasn't  really something surprising. But since we're already there and both of us are such cheapskates, we still continued our search. 

Then we stumbled into this shop named Omanian Trading that sells watches and other gadgets. I was able to buy my camera there for a quite cheaper price (compared to Duty Free) and my friend got a discount in her mobile as well. It took us quite some time before we left because my friend was bargaining with the price although at the end, she still succumb to the price that was given to her. It was quite a tricky purchase since we were buying which was supposed to be brand new stuffs but the boxes weren't sealed. I was excited to get a new camera and I haven't even thought of that. After my friend checked the phone, we left. When we arrived in our room, we noticed there's a defect in the phone. My friend doesn't feel satisfied and comfortable so we decided to go back to Bur Dubai at 10:45 pm!!! When we get there again (we just took a cab), the store keeper doesn't want to replace the phone and they don't even want to give a refund!!! They said they will replace it on the next day! Come on, we don't have time to go back again so we insisted to either replace it right there and then or refund the money. At last, when my friend threatened them she will call the police, they decided to get a new one. Good thing, it was working. But the scary part is, the box has a sealed plastic, but the real seal of the box is already broken and even the battery's sealed plastic has been opened! So yeah, it was scary, but my friend cannot do anything anymore coz it's either she takes it or lose the whole amount she just paid. 

It was a not so good shopping experience for us (thinking it was my first time to go there). I will definitely go back but I won't buy any gadgets or other expensive stuffs anymore --- Totally not recommended.



**Photos courtesy of my friend. ^^,

No comments:

Post a Comment