Monday, July 16, 2012

Facebook Rant

One night, out of boredom, I decided to change my relationship status in Facebook. I just thought that Facebook doesn't really entertain me anymore. For me, it's just a tool to get in touch with my REAL loved ones. Since no one cares about my posts, I thought, what if I changed my relationship status? How big can the impact be? How curious can people get? And I did not fail. After changing it, immediately, a high school friend had already posted her comment. Then there comes next until it got 25 likes and 15 congratulatory comments from most (not all, okay) people who don't even bother how I am or where the heck I may be. I had talked about this to a colleague (as he believed that I am really in a relationship and I feel that he is jealous coz he's still single. haha!), and I told him that I didn't imagine that people will respond to it like that. And he said that obviously, I put in on Facebook so that people will know. Well, he's actually right. But it still makes me think that some people are just plain shallow coz some of these people doesn't even care about me, but in just one change of relationship status, I felt that they were all trying to enter my life. After seeing this and proving that your status in Facebook "matters", I suddenly wondered what could be Mark Zuckerberg's real intentions. Did he intend for these people to be hooked-up/addicted like this just for the sake of being updated or it's just a clean intention on making a tool to connect people and at the same time, make money out of it? Well, whichever may be true, that still makes him guilty by association. 


Though even I do not know what made me do my "experiment", there's one lesson I learned: Facebook stressed the crap out of me, yet, until I'm away from my family and friends, it's the best tool to keep in touch with them. And the best solution is: stick with my real purpose of using it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment